The tactical level represents to roles that are usually called “Project Manager”. Nevertheless, this level is more than just a management layer. It connects the overall goals of the executing organization with the daily operation and execution of a project. A view on the tasks and decisions give a better view how to understand and implement this layer into a complex project environment.
The tactical level in large scale projects supports these functions:
- Link the operational and the strategical level.
- Integrate all operational planning items into an overall plan.
- Match the overall plan to business objectives of the strategical level.
- Manage deviations from the planning up- and down-flow.
- Assess and manage all risks coming from the strategical or operational level.
- Act as escalation point for the operational level if necessary.