The operational level often includes many teams or other executing entities. One of the important considerations is therefore the relation and communication between these teams.
The operational level in large-scale projects supports these functions:
- Create and maintain operational plans and related tasks.
- Manage the daily delivery.
- Monitor risks that may occur during the delivery.
- Optimize planned or running tasks.
- Ensure the quality of all deliverables.
- Monitor the progress and report it.
This list shows only an overview of all tasks. There are many day-to-day challenges that may occur on this level.
All communication inside this level is challenging because it may include many resources and teams. Therefore, it is a crucial task to create a stable structure that includes all channels. On the other hand, it is important to define ways that narrow it in order to avoid too much communication. The level deals with several interactions:
- Alignment inside the teams on this level.
- Reporting towards the tactical level.
- Coordination between different teams on the operational level.
- Interaction of procurement activities.
Particularly the first topic is one of the major tasks in project management. It is crucial to handle it in a way that allows to use the existing teams properly and efficiently.
Most of the decisions on this level concern the deliverables and the team performance. It is best practice that the operational level has the power to decide most of the delivery related topics. It ensures a close relation between the impact of those decisions and the people who carry out them. To achieve this the tactical level should establish a clear framework that shows the borders for all these decisions.