Level Model - LPLM
Large scale projects need a clearly defined approach that goes beyond the usual project management frameworks. There are several ways published that may help to create a suitable breakdown and governance. They often offer only partial solutions to organize and manage very complex projects environment in a LSP.
The "LargeProject-LevelModel (LPLM©)" provides a clear and consistent structure for all kinds of projects. Characteristic of the model is the distinction between three level that basically represent different entities in a complex project environment. There may be the need for more level in certain projects, but it is recommended to keep the following three ones:
Keeping this structure in mind it becomes easier to create a sophisticated structure that covers all parts of a project. The next chapters initially focus on several major topics which are most influenced by the LPLM. Other topics will be covered in later publications.
The LPLM strives to define steps how to structure all possible influences on a project into a clearly arranged way of working. This ensures that any occuring complexity can be assessed and handled.
The Strategical Level expresses the "Why a project is done". Its major attributes are:
- It connects the management and the outcomes of a project with the overall objectives of the executing organization.
- The level incorporates mainly business relevant topics.
- Project sponsor or important stakeholder are part of it.
The Tactical Level expresses the "How a project is done". Its major attributes are:
- It connects the strategic objectives with the daily execution of the project.
- The level gathers all input to create the final project plans.
- The project manager or a team of project managers constitute this level.
The Operational level Expresses "What in a project is done". Its major attributes are:
- It conncects the execution with the planning and monitoring of the project.
- The level creates the final outcomes of the project.
- The execution teams belong on this level.